Saturday, June 9, 2012

Benchmark Assessment Sample

Our team has developed a rough idea of our first benchmark assessment. We both feel it is essential that we have a strong curriculum set-up beforehand to help guide us through this gaming simulation. The big idea or driving question for the entire unit is the following:  

How did humans progress from surviving to thriving? 

In order to gain the insight needed to address this question, we have created four benchmark questions that will be explored along the way. These are:

Phase 1- How did early humans accomplish their basic needs?
Phase 2- How did early humans learn to adapt, utilize, and reshape their environment?
Phase 3- How did early human settlements evolve into civilizations?
Phase 4- How did civilizations expand into empires?

In our first phase of the game, we want to have the students simulate what neolithic hunter-gathers would have experienced: lack of resources, fear of predators, limited resources and food. Using the organizer, students will need to make a connection to our world today

Feel free to post any comments or feedback.

4 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KaTna9xh3M

    Minecraft Account Hacker Tool 2012 JUNE !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeremy! Survival mode is perfect for this lesson. They'll need shelter first, followed by tools to gather resources, and then food and a light source. It's a great way to start talking about primitive people; their tools, their shelters, their challenges. Contrasting how long it takes to accomplish these tasks in Minecraft with how long it would take a primitive culture to do the same might be interesting as well, or talking about a division of labor to make sure all basic needs are being met. So many of those tasks are hidden today; still present, but not as visible or prioritized as they were in the past - or in Minecraft. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Will you be recording what the students are doing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jeremy, Your blog is great. I am a primary school teacher in Spain, we also experience Minecraft Edu http://ticjm.blogspot.com.es/2013/02/minecraft-edu.html .
    I would love you to join my Edmodo group "minecraft create and discover" The idea of the group is the following:

    I am José Manuel Sáez, primary school teacher in Spain. In this photo you can see me and some of my pupils. I hope we can share experiences and ideas with minecraft. All the students can upload the screenshot or photo of their houses or maybe breakthroughs in minecraft. The idea is sharing and writing. My students will present themselves here; I hope you do the same so we know something about you. Greetings from Spain.

    This is my e-mail joshhe1977@yahoo.es write me and I will give you the Edmodo code and make you co-teacher. I hope we could try this. Kind regards

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeremy,

    I also teach 6th grade social studies - in Mentor, Ohio. Dabbled with MinecraftEDU last year, looking to fully immerse it into my curriculum this year for ancient civilizations. Would love to collaborate ideas.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete